how could I forget

12:55 AM


I remember when times were simpler.



When the hardest part of the day was tying your shoes. 

I remember making bread for the first time in kindergarten and it tasting so good




I remember you and your contagious laugh 
and how we thought riding in the wagon down our street was a good idea. 
You couldn't steer so we tried leaning, 
but we both came home with a little bit of gravel in our legs. 

really it was alright because nothing mattered to us at that age.


I remember a childhood full of otter pops and knuckle sandwiches, 
of too many night terrors and the million lemonade stands we had




I remember the way your lips curled at the edges 
and how you always looked like you were hiding something.

OF COURSE I remember crepes at 3 am 
and how I tried to french braid your almost long enough hair
even though I knew it wouldn't work.

I remember thinking since I was already late 
I might as well stay out even later. 
Because I swear you never sleep 
but I'm sure you still wake up beautiful.




You're a Libra that lied about being an Aries just to make me excited. 
And you even said "serious tweet" when it was definitely not a serious tweet. 

and I remember catching you staring & me staring back through my peripheral vision 
and I remember laughing with you until it hurt while we were standing in the rain.



I remember you said "Karen" but I thought you said "turn"
so the jello game got real, real fast.




I don't remember his voice anymore or the sting that comes with it.
I don't remember the empty sky and empty silences.



because now all I can remember are the rap battles 
and how there's never enough time in the day.

the right turn then two lefts and another right.


I remember thinking you were one of those "too cool" people
but first impressions are almost never right.





and I can't stop remembering you.





You Might Also Like

2 comments