small talk but not really

2:25 PM

I'm the one who gets mad at slow cars in the commuter lane.

but who doesn't
The one who can tie a knot in a cherry stem but the last person I kissed was my prom date.
who didn't kiss at prom
I'm the one who has so much to say but when I get the chance, my mind goes blank.
you make me nervous
I've gotten good at pretending not to care
when that's the problem
people just don't care.
But who am I to diagnose you when I'm just as basic as the rest of you.
yes, you're basic. 



Sorry that was mean and this is a first impression.
But I'm the kind of person that left their Care on the kitchen table along with my lunch.

I'm composed of bad Sundance screenplay writers and words that cut too deep.
of sugar and spice but the rest was forgotten. 
my dads dad jokes that I've actually started to laugh at.
of the way you will talk to her but not me. 
But my peripheral vision is better than you thought and now those stolen glances confuse me to the point that I can't sleep.  
I can't sleep anyway, but sometimes you can feel a little better if you have something to blame.


Maybe Robert Redford has the answer. I feel like he has all the answers.
But I've been wrong before
Don't let me be wrong about you.

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. "but I'm the kind of person that left Care on their kitchen table along with my lunch." yes.

    And also-

    I didn't kiss my prom date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sorry that was mean and this is a first impression." #truth

    ReplyDelete
  3. First impressions are whatever you want them to be. So congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After every line in the post I had to pause to say "SAME". I'm excited that someone feels the same way about things as I do .

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I can't sleep anyway, but sometimes you can feel a little better if you have something to blame."
    True that! great poem

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is rad and gave me chills no joke

    ReplyDelete